MotorCities National Heritage Area
girl-american-car-cropped.jpg

Rapid Transformation: Bold Moves in a Changing Industry

Albert North and Harry Hamilton relocated their Pontiac Spring & Wagon Works to larger premises in 1899 to boost their output of carriages, wagons, and springs. Within a few years they were also assembling trucks for the Rapid Motor Vehicle Co. and soon took over the entire operation. By 1907, the partners built an even bigger factory and became the largest producer of commerical motorized vehicles in the world.