MotorCities National Heritage Area
grandfather_grandson_car-cropped.jpg

Vehicle City Arches - Brightening Downtown Flint

In 1899, the city decided to replace the gas lamps in downtown Flint with electic lights mounted on five steel arches. The steel arches spanned across Saginaw Street and in 1905, two more were added. One of the steel electric lights included the phrase "FLINT - VEHICLE CITY" to honor the city as the world's largest volume manufacturer of horse drawn carriages. 


Address:
Southeast corner of Saginaw and Kearsley
Flint, MI