MotorCities National Heritage Area
grandfather_grandson_car-cropped.jpg

Peninsular Car Company Plant

Before automobiles, a major industry in Milwaukee Junction was the production of railroad freight cars. In 1884, Peninsular Car Company built railcar manufacturing shops on twenty-five acres of farmland at the intersection of Ferry and Russell Streets (current photo, site of Detroit Renewable Power). The site was attractive because of the nearby railroads, and because of access to lumber and iron ore. Turning out 25 to 30 freight cars per day, the company supplied railroads across America, Canada and overseas.

 


Address:
5700 Russell St
Detroit, MI 48211